Thursday, March 8, 2007

well this is a new sensation...

So, here's my blog.
Now, what am I supposed to do?
I haven't really written in a journal for a long time. I used to write off and on, but only when I was upset about something. I'd like to start writing about the good things in my life because there are so many. That's where the name for my business and this blog came from.
I remember when I was a little girl, whenever I got a new journal I always felt awkward writing in it without introducing myself properly to the pages. I'd write something like "Hello, new journal. I'm Whitney". Then I felt like it was ok to mess up the perfectly blank pages. There's something I love about a blank page, so many options, color or no color, big words or small, vertical or horizontal. Sometimes I get paralyzed by the options. That is sort of how I feel right now. What should I write about? My business? My life? Both?
I'm sure it'll come to me.
So let's start with the introductions.

Hello Blog, I'm Whitney.

I make jewelry. I'm trying to make a name for myself making jewelry. Some days are good and I feel hugely optimisitic and other days I wonder who on earth is gong to buy all this junk. I make 'odd' jewelry. I say that, only because I don't make traditional 'red bead, yellow bead, blue bead and repeat' jewelry. I make big chunky knit cuffs which I think are very cool and are bought mostly by middle-aged ladies. Which is strange to me, I guess I always imagine them on a young 20 somethings' wrist. I also make crocheted necklaces that should be worn three or four at a time. These aren't huge sellers yet but I know they will be. I've seen ones just like mine at Neiman's and Anthropolgie! Lastly, I recycle vintage jewelry... I LOVE this. I buy old jewelry and take it all apart and make new stuff with all the pieces. So far, this is my most popular jewelry. I participate in local fashion events from time to time and I have some pieces in stores around the country. I busted my butt last summer doing street fairs and such, I never made any money, but I didn't lose any either so I guess that's good. I don't know if I'll do that again this summer...
I have a serious addiction when it comes to vintage stuff. I love it. I love to have it and display it. I love to sell it. I love to find it. There's nothing better than spending a day searching the thrift shops for cool stuff. Someday I'll do something with this addiction, maybe I'll start another website or open a little boutique here in town. Who knows.
I am also a collage artist. I feel the most at peace and plugged-in when I'm making art. I used to make greeting cards from my art and they sold pretty well, but it was a tough road and the jewelry started taking off. I'll get back to the collage stuff soon and meanwhile I'm trying to find ways to incorporate it into my jewelry.
I bought some resin the other day, i'm excited to play around with it.
I live in Colorado and I love it. I'm getting very tired of winter and I'm really looking forward to sunny, warm days. I planted some seeds yesterday I thought they might help bring some spring inside.
ok, that's all for now.
Goodbye new blog!
xo
whitney

No comments: