Wednesday, September 5, 2007

some call me "MacGyver"

Craft Challenge:
6 toothpicks
1 twig
4 coffee filters
and a matchbox

Go!

Just kidding, but it would be cool to start one of those 'challenge' websites. I'm thinking about participating in the new Green Pepper Press Street Team one. And maybe Illustration Fridays too. Who knows, I have very good intentions. That's what my tombstone will read: "Whitney Phippen ~ She had really good intentions."

I have a ton of etsy orders to fill this morning and I am procratinating. A subtext on my tombstone:
"Whitney Phippen ~ She had really good intentions.
We're surprised she actually got around to dying"

hehe

I have the opportunity to buy a lampshade machine.
I went into my favorite local used furniture store yesterday to inquire about a butt load of lampshade wires that they have hanging in the back room. I wanted to buy a couple just to play around with and the nice woman told me that they don't sell them individually because they are part of a LAMPSHADE MACHINE, with fabric and everything, she told me.
Well, I left, disappointed that I couldn't have just a couple lampshade frames. Driving home I started thinking about this magical lampshade machine and I started to get ideas.

Tons of ideas.

Ideas from every corner of the globe.

I could make really, really cool lampshades with my art on them and out of old photographs and maps, the sky's the limit.
I imagined our small 900 sq ft house filled to the brim with lamps. One for every room. Nay, one for every chair!

So I did what any wise person would do in this day and age, I googled it.
'lampshade machine' = nothing
'lamp shade machine' = nothing
'fabric lampshade machine' = nothing
'lampshade ring machine' = AHA!


(photo politely borrowed from beccascustomshades.com)

I think this is it. I believe this invention glues the fabric or whatever to the rings. Instead of doing it by hand and thereby saving a lot of time. I am going to go talk to my furniture lady about purchasing this contraption after I ship my Etsy orders. So I had better go do that.

I will leave you with this:
"If you always do what interests you, then at least one person is pleased."
-Katherine Hepburn

xo

1 comment:

cheryl said...

I love how you think. Thanks for sharing that moment in your day. I do agree with Audrey, too. I vote for getting the lampshade machine. On another note, I found your wonderful silhouette pieces in a Better Homes. If I had old silhouettes would you still be able to make a necklace? Please let me know. Thanks! Cheryl