Thursday, December 20, 2007

there are some days that even a fresh baked cookie cannot fix

unfortunately.
I didn't think this was true. But I tested my theory last night and even though the delicious almond sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar gave me momentary pause from my problem it did not solve it in any way. I'd like to make a magic cookie. One that has all the answers, then I'd give the recipe to everybody.

I've always wanted to start a bakery for this very reason. If you could improve someone's day or hour or moment by simply feeding them something you baked, that would be complete and utter satisfaction.

Christmas has always been a funny time for me. I love it, I love the season, I love the warmth, I love the snow, I love the tacky decorations, I love the feeling in the air, I love giving people gifts, I love all of these things to pieces...in the beginning.

And then we get to the home stretch and a wave of stress comes over me. Mostly because I haven't finished making someone's gift. It all comes back down to the stupid gifts. Admitedly, I have been exceptionally busy this season with my business but tell it to the trees. No one cares. Everybody is busy. The problem is this: I'd love to say whooey let's forget presents this year. But I like to give the people I know and love something special.

ugh.

In the beginning I have all of these wonderful grandiose dreams of what I'll make for people and by the end I'm cutting corners and rethinking my plans so that I can have it all done by the magic date.
I need a new plan.
I don't want Christmas to be all about the gifts for our new baby and maybe if I start a tradition of one handmade gift for all, or one handmade card, or nothing at all but a good potluck meal. Then maybe s/he will never have to feel this way.

We all own too many things already.
Couldn't we be just as happy with a fresh batch of cookies?
I could.

xo

No comments: