Friday, August 31, 2007

good morning sunshine

So, I read this article in the paper yesterday and I was so blown away that I,
1. tore it out of the paper and
2. decided I would share it with you.
Discussion to follow. Here goes:

COLORADO SPRINGS
SCHOOL BANS TAG

An elementary school has
banned tag on its playground
after some children com-
plained they were harassed or
chased against their will.
"It causes a lot of conflict
on the playground" said Cindy
Fesgen, assistant principal of
the Discovery Canyon Cam-
pus school.
Running games still are al-
lowed as long as students don't
chase eachother, she said.
Fesgen said two parents
complained to her about the
ban but most parents and chil-
dren didn't object.
In 2005, two elementary
schools in nearby Falcon
School District did away with
tag and other similar games in
favor of alternatives with
less physical contact.

I almost don't even know where to start. Maybe it's because I had a wonderful, tag-filled, childhood or maybe because I will be a parent at some point in the not to far future, but COME ON, give me a break.
Those poor children, they're probably the same ones that have to take rolling, carry-on luggage to school because they have too many books to physically carry.

All I can (should) say is that my children will not got to a school like this. They will have a childhood full of tag, kick the can, and ghosts in the graveyard. And I will lovingly bandage every skinned knee and elbow that result from the aforementioned games.

Besides how are you supposed to learn how to flirt if you can't play tag!
Why is this world so serious?

xo

No comments: